Bird in Hand wastewater
GO was a 50% shareholder in the GOLD Joint Venture to deliver the Bird in Hand Wastewater Treatment Plant for SA Water.
The project was delivered through Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) followed by a fixed lump sum contract for the Design and Construction of the 12.5 ML/day Wastewater Treatment Plant and Reuse Pipeline. GO personnel took responsibility for design management as well as the detailed design and construction of all buildings mechanical and electrical works, which included:
- Buildings for blowers, chemical dosing, sludge handling, switchboards and amenities
- Inlet works incorporating inlet screens, and grit vortex system
- Two activated sludge reactors, aeration systems and clarifiers
- RAS, WAS and Reuse pumping stations
- Tertiary treatment facilities incorporating Disc Filtration and UV Disinfection
- Sludge facilities including thickener, centrifuge and digester with energy recovery
- Chemical storage and dosing facilities
- HV power supply including new transformer
- Switchboards and SCADA control systems
- Testing and Commissioning
This was SA Waters' first ECI project and construction was completed six months ahead of schedule while keeping the existing plant operational throughout. The team added value by offering a sludge digester in lieu of lagoons, providing a technically superior solution within the original budget and avoiding the need for a flare stack.